Monday, August 19, 2013

Pot-ty Dance! Pot-ty Dance! Pot-ty Dance!

We have made leaps and bounds on potty training.  Back when she was nearly potty-trained at 18 months or so, she was just excited about going on the potty and told me she had to go.  Think she thrived off the excitement of success.  But I wasn't consistent when we went in public because I was grossed out by my tiny baby using a public bathroom.  Gross!  Then when I got serious about it, my approach was to stay at home all day for a few days with her being naked or bottomless and asking her to sit on the pot every X amount of minutes, it failed.  I felt like we had a new puppy in the house and was constantly cleaning up accidents.  And she loved when I would yell "Go on the potty!" when I caught her in the act and she would take off giggling/running around the house while peeing.  Also, she would refuse to go sit on the potty when I asked her to and I wasn't going to force her to.  So we took a breathier and I keep my sanity rather than reaching my goal of having her potty trained before baby arrived.  

This summer since we were at home so much with crying Charles, I took a slower approach.  She was getting close to being completely potty trained so I decided to get serious.  I bought potty prizes galore.  And for at least a week, every time she pottied on the potty, we did the "potty dance" (I made it up).  It consists of singing, "Pot-ty Dance! Pot-ty Dance! Pot-ty Dance!" while shaking our hips and then shake your arms and say, "yaaayyy!"  And would reward her with a prize.  The potty prizes consisted of a range of stuff from dum-dum suckers, a princess crown, play dinosaurs, craft supplies, candy necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc.

Well, this approach worked and Clayton is potty trained!!!!  Yay!!!!!

I promised her a fish when she was potty trained.  She wore her fish dress and we headed to Walmart for a fish tank and Beta fish.  They were out of Beta fish but we bought a fish tank.  The best part (even though it grossed me out) was that she pottied on the potty like a big girl in Walmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment