Monday, July 11, 2011

River Rage

Last weekend we made our annual trip to float the Spring River in Arkansas.  As always, we enjoyed mingling with the locals, drinking adult beverages, and having great times with friends.  Last year Clayton made the trip with us (in womb) and I have to say her mom had a more entertaining trip this year without her (sorry, but being sober is not a way to float this river).  
Our first float trip 3 years ago, we went to Hardy, Arkansas and it was calm as we didn't see anyone else on the river.  For the last two years, Shelby and Preston kindly hosted everyone at Shelby's family's house outside Mammouth Springs, Arkansas on the Missouri border.  
This is a complete change from our Hardy float trip.  Besides staying in an absolutely gorgeous house (opposed to a janky cabin), this portion of the river features many "river people" (locals, college kids, tourists of all ages and sizes- but majority are rough).  To fit in with the river people, our group of private-schooled kids have "river names" and sported tattoos.  My river name is "Velvet" and Harris' is "Lester".
Last year, when we were dropped off where we would begin the float, many river people had Mardi Gras beads.  I was puzzled but quickly discovered why when a boy no older then 8 was swinging beads and telling the ladies of our group to show him our "tits."  Everyone in our group didn't partake but needless to say, I saw many boobs (ranging from perky teens, to saggy 60 year old, to pierced ones) etched in my sober pregnant eyes.  Also, I'd like to mention that this 8 year old was with his father who was boasting that his son saw his first pair of boobs other than his momma's.  Wow!  

  This trip was no different, except this year our group was equipped with beads of our own.  
A "highlight" of this year's trip was an individual showed us his Prince Albert (google it) too close for comfort (his beads are a result of this "encounter".  I handed him all the beads I could grab for the situation to end).  Yep, I'm scarred! 
Besides beads and boobs, other excitement on our float was a river roadblock. 
Thankfully, I was able to hide my bottles (yep, plural....didn't want to run out) of champagne as glass is obviously prohibited (I know, I wasn't thinking).  And no, it wouldn't have been the fine that I would have been upset about...I didn't want to make the float 2 years in a row without alcohol. 
Seriously though, thank you to Arkansas' finest for their efforts in attempting to keep everyone safe on the river and for being friendly as well.
  
It was another fun-filled trip and we can't thank Shelby and Preston enough for their hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment