Sunday, December 4, 2011

Memphis Animal Shelter Grand Opening

As many of you know, I've been volunteering for many years at the Memphis Animal Shelter (aka the Memphis Pound).  I started a non-profit a little bit ago called Friends of the Memphis Animal Shelter.  I'll post more about those endeavors later.

The Memphis Animal Shelter was located in a building that was old and had numerous problems for housing a large quantity of animals.  After many years of planning, the shelter finally moved into a brand new building.  Mary and I went to the grand opening festivities on Saturday.

Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton

I didn't take many pictures of the inside but it's gorgeous.  One of the areas that makes me the happiest is the cat area.  They are now housed in large cat condos, have room to move, and don't hearing barking dogs all day.
Of course, there were two Maine Coon brothers that stole my heart since they looked similar to Sissy.  Sissy used to do this and it made me cry thinking about how much I miss her.  It was her who opened my heart to cats.
I told my volunteer friend Jeanne to not let anything happen to the two boys and to call me if they were in jeopardy (going to be put to sleep).  This always gets me in trouble as I usually end up coming home with them to foster.  However this time they were adopted!  I know Harris is happy.


Here is an example of the new dog cages.  They have automatic watering system and the dogs are moved to a different section of the kennel to clean it.  Sounds like no big deal but it's huge when you are cleaning so many kennels.  They now stay dry and aren't stressed by the cleaning.
There are many mosaics and murals in the building.  A huge change from the paint-peeling walls in the old building.
I only listed a few of the improvements, but here are countless more.  I'm sad that I've had to step back from the majority of my volunteer duties over the last year but am hoping to be able to get back real soon.  

And for my PSA:
If you are looking to add a furry pet to your family, please consider adopting from your local animal shelter or a rescue group.  There are many pure-blooded dogs as well.  And whatever you do, please spay and neuter your pets.  Thousands die each day because people don't get their pets fixed.


Low Cost Spay/Neuter options in Memphis:
Mid-South Spay and Neuter Services
Pet Vax


Visit Petfinder to locate a rescue group or animal shelter in your area and to search for a particular pet to match your needs.


Also, my biggest pet peeve......Have a collar with an identification tag on your pets AND have them microchipped (Ask your vet about it.  It's typically around $25.).  You DO NOT want your pets to end up at a shelter.  They may never make it out alive.


• 1 out of 3 pets will get lost in their lifetime.
• 95% of lost pets that don’t have PET I.D. never get home again.
• 95% of lost pets that do have Pet I.D. are rescued and returned to their homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment