Spring is puppy and kitten season. There is an abundance of unwanted litters that find their way to animal shelters or the streets. I have volunteered for many years for the Memphis Animal Shelter and have fostered dogs in the past. But this year when I saw a plea for kitten fosters I thought it would be a perfect way for us to make a difference while getting our feline fix without adopting.
At the Memphis Animal Shelter, kittens must be 2 pounds before they are fixed and they are unable to be adopted out unfixed so their fate isn't good unless they have a foster home. So we fostered a litter of 4 kittens that were 5 weeks old to help fatten them up.
Brittany was in Memphis and agreed to pick them up at the shelter and deliver them to us in Tupelo. Clayton and I bought supplies anticipating their arrival.
And goodness they are cute.
Since kittens can be messy, we kept them in our basement/garage bathroom where they could have room to play and make a mess. It was the perfect kitten nursery.
We have been fostering them for two weeks and the orange kitty found a home as a Mother's Day gift for Kyle's mom. Meows and Bowwows Animal Rescue kindly agreed to take the three others under their care and find them wonderful homes.
We were so sad to see them leave but know they will find great homes. (And she isn't crying cause he's leaving but because he couldn't come out to play.)
I encourage anyone who is able to foster a pet for an animal shelter or rescue group. You provide love and a temporary home and in most cases they cover the food and medical expenses. Also it's a great teaching opportunity for children.











No comments:
Post a Comment